Tuesday, July 16, 2013

OIL THE GATE AND COUNT THE RINGS ON THE TREE STUMP

I can not live without WD-40, can you?
The gate was squeaking recently so I grabbed my can.  Once I start squirting, I can't stop.  I oil everything that squeaks.  The gate, wheelbarrel, swing, van door, kennel door, chicken house gate, cake pans, mice, my knees, Dennis, anything.
 
 
 
As I walk and squirt........hm that sounds kinda bad.
As I walk and apply WD-40, I get distracted.  Actually, I get distracted often.  But today, I started wondering how old this fallen white oak tree might be.
 


I started counting the age rings.  I also counted a few of my own.

A tree forms a dark circle in the summer, then a lighter circle during the winter.  So you actually only count the dark circles when aging a tree.

Dark scars or blotches and mean a lightening strike.  Usually lightening travels down the main trunk, then it leaves the tree sideways, leaving a scorch mark towards the outer edge. 


This trunk must be more than three feet, 1 hand, and a toenail across.

 
I wonder if my bone marrow looks like this.  It is old too.

 
These are the piles of branches from this monster tree that grew here when the coal mines were active over 100 years ago.


Lets have a moment of quiet.  No squeaking please.



No comments:

Post a Comment