Monday, July 1, 2013

THIS AND THAT

I am in panic mode, which is when I do my best work.
There are only 11 days until visitors come from miles around to see our pond.
So today I mowed and raked and fed the front lawn 'again'.
The pond is still green with algae.  We are adding algaecide like a mad chemist, trying to get rid of string algae in the pond.
 
 
I pluck every weed I walk past. Then I see a dead clump of grass so I dig it out.
This load will become compost.
 
 
 
Then I walk to the garden...........oh my goodness.............how did those weeds get so high?
 
 
The other end of the garden is rather nice. 
 
It is not planted in vegetables because we had such a wet spring.  So we  just mow it.
The term is "let it go fallow".  Which is what has happened to my body lately.
 
 



Orange lilies remind me of my childhood.  Every farmer had them.  They were easy to care for and colorful.  It seems they frequented roadsides and outhouses.  In fact, so did I.
I road my horse on many gravel roads, and did my share of checking out the corn stalks. 
I did find a bed pan in the dirt when I was exploring rustynail.
 
 
These orange lilies are from the original homestead.
Mr. White built his little home next door in 1960.  I was in first grade!
 
 
We will let them grow and bloom, in honor of Mr. White and all the hard working coal miners who settled this ground in the early 1900's.

 
This was my story about that, and that is what this was.
No more, no less, just that.  That's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment