Wednesday, July 17, 2013

THE MAIL BOX

I have been on the look out for an old, rusty mail box to enhance the garden decor.  Nothing says home more than a rusty mailbox.  I can remember walking across the gravel road to get the mail when I was a child.


In grade school, had a pen pal from Washington State.  It was so exciting to get a letter from her.  Then I would respond to her by placing a reply in our mail box and lifting the red flag up to indicate to the mailman to pick up our mail.  Yes, they were mail men.

To capture the nostalgia, I wanted a mail box to set in my yard.

Low and behold my friend said she had one in her barn at the farm.  She brought it to me and my eyes glazed over!  It was in good shape and slightly rusty.  I opted to paint it.  The same week I acquired some huge pink flowers that someone at work was tossing.  They came home with me.  Then I grabbed the hat I recently purchased at Goodwill.

Once I started I could not stop.  I pressure washed the mail box.  The address and name stickers went flying into the universe, the rust smoothed over, and I began painting at midnight.  I shoved the flowers inside and set it on an iron bench at 1:00 am, in the moonlight  The next morning was like Christmas in July!  I ran outside to see how my artistic creation looked.



 

 What do you think?  I think it is awesome!  I hope someone drops me a note.

No comments:

Post a Comment