Wednesday, April 24, 2013

INDIGO BUNTING


Finally, he came to visit.  The past eight years I have occasionally seen a brilliant blue bird down the road, near the creek and overgrown brush.  I have wished and sprinkled holy water hoping this little birdie would suddenly appear in our garden. 

Low and behold, abracadabra, walla!  Sunday he stopped in for lunch.  I was in the house and saw a blue spot in the yard.  Of course I grabbed the camera and after many many pictures through the glass I was able to get one clear picture. 

See the tiny speck of blue on the gound? That's him. The males are bright blue and the females are brown. 

This showman flitters and flirts so fast.  His wings were always in motion as he hopped on the fence, over to the tree, down to the seeds on the ground, and off again.  I have some great blurry shots of him!

The next day he came back again.  Indigo Bunting migrate to Florida and Africa during our winter.  They navigate at night by the stars.  Isn't that fascinating.  His little brain is no bigger than a pin head and he travels that far.  I never go anywhere. I suppose it is possible my brain might be close to the same size..................sadly.


Google Picture
 
 
(maybe his name should be "Google"?) 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment