Monday, September 16, 2013

HUMMINGBIRD MOTH?

Google.com photo.




You know my friends, Myrtle and Fred.  I visited their gardens a few weeks ago.  While I was there, they pointed out something I had not seen before.  Fred called it a Hummingbird Moth.

I believe everything Fred tells me because he really knows his stuff, and he knows Myrtle's stuff too, but that's another story.

Since our visit, I have been searching to find one in my gardens.  I found one today, but it was not flying, it was not humming, in fact, it was not breathing.

Be honest, have you ever seen one?  I have never heard of them until now.
Doesn't it make you wonder what else is out there flying around that we are unfamiliar with?  Things like flying frogs, soaring horses, or flying monkeys. 

I found some facts about a hummingbird moth.  It can be considered to be a medium to large moth with a wingspan of five or more inches. They tend to fly strong and fast like a hummingbird with  rapid wing beats. The hummingbird moth is usually active at dusk. However, they have been known to be active throughout the day traveling from flower to flower, much like a hummingbird.

 The hummingbird moth will feed on a flower much like a hummingbird. But instead of a beak and tongue to lap the nectar, they have little straws to sip the nectar from a flower.

I use little straws to sip a Brandy Alexander from a glass.  It makes me hum too.


No comments:

Post a Comment