Monday, September 2, 2013

RECORD BREAKING HEAT 104 DEGREES

Sept. 2, 2013


This weekend broke a record for the hottest day in central Illinois.  104 degrees.
I tried to protect the newly planted trees and shrubs the best way I could.
I covered this one with a table.





In spite of my efforts, they have all suffered from the heat.
I watered morning and night.  I rigged up some shade for the delicate ones.
This is the new birch tree covered with a towel.






The Japanese Maple was fading so I put a towel over it.







Three days later they seem to be hanging on.  This is the new oak tree.
One branch dried up just in the center.





It's rough when my children get sick.  I worry, and fret, and stay up late holding their hands and singing nursery rhymes.

I shoved the marigolds under the table.



 

 
 
 
 Why do weeds continue to grow when everything else is withering?
 

 


I put some bowls of water around the front yard for the birds and wild cats.  We do have the pond, but even the pond water was warm at the surface.
 



We did loose some of our nice summer flowers.  They absolutely baked.  Others were unscathed even though they were in the sun.  I can't figure out mother nature. 

So I will move on and buy a few fall specimens, such as kale, to replace the dead flowers.

When life gives you lemons, plant kale.




No comments:

Post a Comment